Join us for Free First Thursday Nights at MAM every month from October through June, 5–9 p.m., and enjoy an evening of free art and dynamic programming, including live music, tours, and interactive entertainment. A full-service bar with special First Thursday Night prices sponsored by Pig & Prince, one of Montclair's most celebrated eateries, is open all evening, and food trucks serve a variety of delicious fare.
Offerings will change on a monthly basis, providing something new to see or do at every First Thursday Night.
- Full-service bar, 5–9 p.m., with special First Thursday Night prices in partnership with Pig & Prince Restaurant & Gastro-Lounge (credit cards accepted)
- Tours, 5:30, 6:30, & 7:30 p.m. – Explore MAM's current exhibitions with a guide. Themes change on a monthly basis.
- Live music, 5–9 p.m., provided by the Montclair State John J. Cali School of Music Jazz Studies.
- Draw Along Workshop, 5–9 p.m. – Come draw with us! Grab a pencil and some paper and try your hand at sketching with one of the Yard School of Art's teaching artists. Take your turn at drawing from a live model or observe as an expert captures a likeness. Supplies are provided for this free activity.
- Florian Schantz Jazz Combo, 6:30 p.m. – 11-year-old trumpet virtuoso Florian Schantz will play jazz selections with a full band. In 2012, when he was 9 years old, Florian formed the Florian Schantz Jazz Combo and began playing public performances. Since that time, the band has delighted audiences in numerous venues in the greater NYC area including opening for the Somers Dream Orchestra at the Sussex County PAC, headlining Somethin’ Jazz Club in NYC and conducting his own historical program “Four Centuries of Jazz” at the Crossroads. The band consists of adult professional musicians with guest appearances by Florian's big sister Margaret, who plays the Flügelhorn and trumpet. In 2013, the FSJC became an official NJ Workshop for the Arts Professional Performing Ensemble and Affiliate. He is the youngest NJWA student ever to form and lead his own professional jazz band. The band specializes in playing traditional hot jazz including Dixieland, ragtime, and blues, but also conducts programs of more modern jazz and commercial music. For more information, including videos, see vfsjazz.com.
- Bellevue Avenue Library, 7:30 p.m. – A violent labor strike, a private meeting in Andrew Carnegie’s home office, and an impassioned petition by Upper Montclair residents all played into the creation of the Bellevue Avenue Library, and that story will unfold in a presentation by the Friends of the Bellevue Avenue Library at MAM's May Free First Thursday Night. The Montclair Art Museum and the Bellevue Avenue Library are both celebrating their Centennial in 2014.
- Montclair Poetry Festival Preview, 7:30 & 8:30 p.m. – Enjoy short poetry sements presented by the first ever Montclair Poetry Festival, to be held May 30-June 1.
- MAM welcomes groups from Immaculate Conception School and OutProfessionals.
Save the date!
June 5 - last one until October!
We encourage you to bring groups to Free First Thursday Nights! We ask that groups of 10 or more RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
. In return, we'll give your group a special mention on the Free First Thursday Nights webpage.
Visitors are encouraged to share their Free First Thursday Nights experience on social media. Find the Museum on: